Saturday 9 March 2013

A few thoughts from Adeptus

Well, here we are at the start of a new season, and I deeply apologize for the lack of posts (I do that a lot, don't I?).  First, an update.  My hand has healed perfectly, and while I need to retrain the muscles, and strengthen it again, I'm able to work now with no issues.

And now for my thoughts.  I play World of Warcraft, (don't judge) and a guildmate was asking for any advice he could get before he started his journey into the world of cooking.  These are a few points I gave him.

1) Women do belong in a professional kitchen, and likely can cook circles around you. (I wish a coworker had learned this before he started with us last year.  Would have saved him trouble.)

2) Do not come in with an ego, we will likely take great pleasure in beating it out of you.  (guilty...but so was the aforementioned coworker)

3)  Listen to EVERYONE.  They likely have things to teach you, so keep your ears open and your mouth shut. (We also get impatient when explaining very simple tasks for the 70th time in three days.  I suggest a notebook)

4)  I highly recommend reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.  It's a resource I find myself turning to time and time again.  My Chef (who is a friend of mine outside of work, suggested I read it years before I found myself in this life)

5) And please, don't come in thinking we owe you anything.  We will teach, and we will instruct, but you need to put in an effort too.  We don't necessarily want to be your friend outside of work, but we are all cogs in a larger machine while at work, so making enemies doesn't help you much.

Think of a kitchen as a pressure cooker, or a submarine.  You are working in very close quarters with people in a high pressure situation.  Tempers will flare, yelling will happen.  Try not to take it personally when your sous chef calls you worthless.  Just work harder.  Keep your head down, and your mouth shut.  You might learn something.  Watch how others deal with the stress, you've no idea how invaluable that can be.  Watch closely the prep being done: are they stacking and folding towels?  Are they making sure their knives are sharp?  Are they checking and double checking their line before service starts?  Any and all of these things will pass you by if you aren't paying attention, and you will quickly find yourself in the weeds.

I am grateful this year that I have my sister returning to work by my side.  I know we have had our differences, (what siblings don't?) but we work very well as a team.  We have crushed through services that I didn't think we'd make it through.  She's been my balance, the ying to my yang if you will.  I am so very lucky to have her with me again this year.  I know things will only get better from here on out.

1 comment: